Healthy Vegetarian Chili
Chili is a staple in our house year round, but come Fall, chili sznnnn is in full swing. This recipe makes for a great Sunday night meal, or (my personal favorite) weekday meal prep. It serves quite a lot, so if you're eating for one, you may want to consider halving the recipe (or cooking the full recipe and freezing what you don't need).
This vegetarian chili serves great over spaghetti, rice or a baked potato. Top with your favorites (some of ours include crushed tortilla chips, shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream and avocado). The best part? This vegetarian recipe can be easily tweaked to include your favorite ground meat! Simply add in your meat after your garlic and olive oil and before your vegetables.
If you try out this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram @daniellegervino so I can see your version!
Favorite cooking tools/gadgets for this recipe:
- 7-blade vegetable chopper/mandolin (most-used kitchen tool that cuts down prep time)
- Magic soap (eliminates garlic smell on hands in seconds, also great for fish)
- Le Creuset dutch oven (an investment piece but lasts forever, also oven safe!)
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28. oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/4 c red wine
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1-2 tbsp. chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- On medium-low heat, sauté garlic in olive oil until lightly browned. Add in onion, pepper, sweet potato and jalapeño. Stir to combine, then cover and sweat vegetables on low for 5-10 minutes.
- Add in beans, crushed tomatoes and whole peeled tomatoes. Rough cut whole peeled tomatoes with a fork and knife while in the pan (these help to thicken the chili).
- Add in red wine, bay leaves, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well, then cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Serve with your favorite toppings! We love sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips and shredded Mexican cheese.